Some of you might remember my earlier posts about repairing Daughter’s water bottle and my old sunglasses.
At the beginning of the pledge, I promised to mend four items – which, if you think about the amount of things in the average house, really isn’t a lot.
As with the water bottle, I nearly didn’t report this one. I fix clothes fairly constantly, but then I thought the method might be of use to someone.
So, two holes in a pair of hand-me-down 100% cotton joggers – one on each knee. For the first, I sewed up the hole and stitched a patch over the top. Interestingly, the patch came from a pair of Daughter’s shoes – there is a loop on the back for the laces. We took them off to make them more suitable for school but put them aside for just this sort of thing.
For the next hole, I didn’t want to use a patch as the tear was tiny.
To start with, I secured the hole…
This is technically a fix in itself and if your child/you is happy with the hole like this, you should definitely leave it – less work! Unfortunately, my child wasn’t happy with this so to create a patch, I began weaving over the top with some cotton yarn I had left over from a project. I chose cotton so that the added fibres could be washed at the same temperature without the risk of uneven shrinkage – something I can’t sew my way out of.
I’m really pleased with the finished trousers – the structural integrity is restored and Son is happy with how they look. I would call that a win.