Mending the Oven – a Do Nation Pledge

Over the past few months, I’ve spoken about fixing my sunglasses, mending son’s trousers, and replacing the lid on daughter’s water bottle as part of Do Nation’s ‘Fix It’ Pledge.

I’d promised to mend four things during the two-month time-frame and as it draws to a close, Husband and I finally got around to doing the big fix which had inspired me to take the pledge in the first place – we mended our oven!

This is the oven which came with the house when we moved in:

Buy RANGEMASTER Classic 90 Dual Fuel Range Cooker - Cream ...

It is, by far, the nicest oven I’ve had access to since I lived at home with Mum’s coal-fired Aga. However…

The long, thin oven on the right hasn’t ever worked. The fan’s been broken since – I presume – before we moved in… five years ago.

To mend this, we searched online for the model number of the oven and found the manual, then from there, we searched for the broken part and bought a replacement. At this point, I would definitely say that you need to be careful with the listings – we searched ‘genuine Rangemaster part’, but if we had read the description better, we would have learned that we were actually buying a part for a genuine Rangemaster…

And usually, I’m all for a bargain, but in this case we got what we paid for. When we opened the package, the bolts we needed to fix the fan in place weren’t there.

We did, however, get three completely superfluous screws…

Luckily the bolts on the original fan were intact so we were able to reuse them, but honestly – they’re grimy and very worn so I’m not entirely comfortable with that. Next time I’m in town, I’ll buy new ones, but for a quick fix this is perfectly adequate.

The swap itself was easy enough and facilitated by a video online (which I won’t post a link to because a. Husband looked it up, and b. your oven is probably different to mine).

The research time for the part was probably ten minutes. Including the cleaning of the space behind the over before we dared tread there, the fitting itself took around thirty minutes. The part cost under £35 including delivery.

So ,I’ll take that as a win!

I’ve now commpleted my four Do Nation repairs, but this has definitely made me rethink a few things. As I said when I posted about Son’s trousers, I’m pretty good at repairing textiles and do so regularly, but it was really nice to learn that it’s not so hard to repair other things too – even bigger, scary, grown-up things like ovens.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s